Monday, July 18, 2016

A bunch of firsts!

Well, I had a lot of firsts this week... :)
My first door slammed in my face
My first received posted letter
My first companion exchange day
My first time riding a bike while wearing a skirt
My first California hike
My first ward council meeting
My first flan (sooo good!)
My first time playing a ukelele (chords: c, g, Dm, d). :)
My first time pruning roses
My first time to work so much with a drill gun
My first time deadheading flowers
My first greenie package



Two Friday's ago we did service for a lady that has the most beautiful yard covered full of plants. All kinds of plants. I kept asking her
the names of them all. I've forgotten them now, but it was so great. I kept thinking I would annoy somebody because I was just so amazed and kept asking about it all. So I learned exactly how to prune a rose and the reasoning behind it and also  deadheading the other flowers. We are going back this Friday to help her out again. I told her I was going to get a picture this time.

 But it seriously is like that up here. So many people grow a million awesome plants and their backyards look so cool. They take a lot of pride in the fact that they can grow all these things and they take advantage of it. Mom and Dad would love
it up here. It's amazing. On another note, my neighbor has koi fish! So cool!


On Monday we went on a hike, took pictures by cliffs and left the path. I haven't seen a rattlesnake yet, but I guess they're pretty
common up here. So I was on the look out for them in the weeds. We decided to not go back to the path to get back to the cars. We were
walking forever back and the weeds were all up in our shoes. None of us brought waters haha. The walk back took forever long and finally we
just walked toward the road so we could follow it to our cars. It was so fun. I definitely feel like I am going 100 miles an hour with no brakes.





Greenie package from Aunt Trish and Coco
Letters from Daphney and Demitri 

 But we decided today to make it a relaxer p-day. Before we have another adventure.  I really needed that. When I got home, I had three letters in the mail! My first time getting a posted letter and I got three! That was so exciting.




That night I packed my bag and I switched one of the sister training
Sister Watson and I
leaders from Gridley. We call this exchanges. It's so the sister training leaders can really see how you are doing and kind of help you set goals to keep improving and then they report back to President. It was really fun. I was super nervous at first because Sister Cozzens and I have a groove and I didn't know what to expect spending the day with someone else, but Sister Watson was so cool. We worked hard and did a lot of finding. We were able to teach a couple of lessons. A lot of our lessons were cancelled last minute, but we just did some more finding or visiting less actives. It was way cool and I loved it, but I was glad to be back with Sister Cozzens in Live Oak. Oh and this was the day I had a door slammed in my face. It was a little funny. Honestly, the man outside was so nice and went inside to tell his wife who was a member that we were there and she was like no, no way. And then another woman ran up and just yelled and pop! slammed the door. I guess it was just funny because it shocked me and I didn't expect that at all, but it didn't damper my spirits. I was glad the man was so nice. I think Sister Watson was worried about me and how I would take it, but I was just laughing at their rudeness. I guess I can't really
explain myself. I'm a pretty happy care-free person.

Thursday I rode my bike for the first time. I was so excited. My skirt was sooo annoying! It was the biggest struggle ever. But it was still so great. We biked all morning until about 3:00. You have a chance to talk to more people when you are not in a car. But my seat is sooo hard! Haha I hurt a little on Thursday, but Friday was car fast day. This basically means everyone in the mission does not use a car. They can walk, ride bikes, or get rides from members. We decided we would bike. I could not even sit on my bike. I was so sore from the day before. So after trying and riding a couple blocks I told Sister Cozzens we better make some phone calls. :) There was no way I was going to make it the 7 miles to Gridley and 7 miles back. I told her I wanted to try next months car fast, but I was so sore this time and I already had wrapped a towel around he seat. We called a sweet member who came and got us and went to our appointments with us and took us back. It worked out really great. It was awesome to have her there in those lessons.

Saturday, we did so much service for this family who are fixing up there house so they can sell it. It was so fun though. They were a great family, and I learned a lot of new skills. I feel like these service activities are helping me learn how to run my home when I get older. It's great! I'm learning so much!

Therapy...my dreams come true!  
Yesterday, I got so frustrated with my teaching abilities. I focus way too much on the message I am trying to get across instead of the natural flow of conversation. Also, the little public speaking skills that I once had have plummeted. I think I am putting so much pressure on myself to be this perfect amazing missionary that I can't even do the things that came natural to me like teaching about the gospel. It's ok. It's just hard.

I'm learning so much here. A lot of the things I have learned this week have to do with home and family. I know that the gospel really does bless families and that through families we can learn about the love that Heavenly Father has for us. I have met so many people and so many families and I learn more and more of what i want for my family now and in the future. I learned that not reading the Book of Mormon one day actually ruins my entire day. I love reading and I don't know if I can ever not in the morning because my day just does not go the same and I don't have the peace that I need.

Love y'all! :D
Sister Crowther





No comments:

Post a Comment